As we are talking about holiday foods in the previous blog post I have another house favorite recipe here! I always believe there should be just as many delicious and vibrant greens at the holiday table and they don’t have to be boring. This kale salad is full of flavor and makes the perfect side for any meal, not just for holidays. I can’t remember how many years I have been bringing kale salad to my family gatherings but it always turns out to be a hit and is just sort of expected now like any traditional side! I hope you love this one as much as we do and for more yummy holiday dishes see here. Happy Thanksgiving!
Apple & Cheddar Kale Salad
- 5 cups baby kale, or 1 large head kale, stems removed and finely chopped.
- 2 small Honeycrisp or fuji apples, cored and thinly sliced.
- 2 oz. sharp or raw cheddar, diced into 1/4 inch cube.
- 1/3 cup toasted pecans
- 1 shallot, finely diced.
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Pink salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and place pecans on baking sheet. Toast for roughly 5 minutes or less, checking them every couple of minutes to make sure they are not burning. They are ready when they become aromatic.
- Combine kale, apple slices, cheese, and pecans in large bowl. For dressing combine all ingredients in small bowl and whisk until well combined. Or my favorite method is using a small mason jar with a lid and shaking until combined. Season dressing with a little pink salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour dressing over salad and toss gently to combine. Serve immediately, refrigerating any leftovers.