Since I am big on “green cleaning” I thought I would introduce you to some easy and cost-efficient DIY’s that you can make to improve the quality of your everyday household products. I’m happy to take a little break from the typical food post and share some of these with you all along the way! After we started our real food journey (you can read all about that here), I started questioning the safety of our home products and more. As of right now, I make my own hand soap, laundry detergent, and all-purpose cleaners.
One thing I love about making my own home cleaning products is how much money it saves me. Another would be how I am able to control the ingredients and make sure what my family is putting onto their skin is safe. A lot of times you will find conventional hand soaps dry out your skin and can even irritate them, that’s usually due to harmful chemicals and synthetic moisturizers. In this combination below, I use coconut oil and sometimes even add a little vitamin E oil to help nourish and soften the skin. Once you start making your own home products you will see how easy and satisfying it really is. Be on the lookout for more coming your way soon!
DIY Foaming Hand Soap
What you’ll need to make 1 bottle:
- 1 foaming hand soap dispenser (*I use a 4 pack to cover all my sink areas-linked below)
- 2 tbsp Dr. Bronner’s Castile Liquid Soap
- 1 tsp fractionated coconut oil
- 10 drops choice of essential oil (I love using a germ fighting blend for extra protection but see other great antibacterial options below!)
- A few drops of Vitamin E oil for extra skin nourishment *optional
- Measure out all above ingredients & pour into bottle. Fill the rest with filtered water, place top on, and give it a little shake to blend.
*You could buy unscented castile soap and add your own smelling essential oils. A few suggestions would be lavender, melaleuca, sweet orange, peppermint, eucalyptus. All of these have antibacterial properties and would make for a smell good soap- all linked below!