This meal brings me back to life pre-kiddos. I use to make this quite often when we were first married and it was so yummy! It has been a few years since I have made it and I am so glad it randomly popped into my head not too long ago. My favorite thing about this meal is how simple it is to make but so flavorful at the same time. *Meal prep til – prep everything morning of or even the night before and that way it is ready to pop into the oven as soon as you get home! You can really eat this dish a number of ways. Some of our favorites include over pasta, zucchini noodles, or simply with a delicious green salad. This is incredibly kid-friendly(*tip-use kitchen shears to cut kid-size portions) and a family favorite. I hope you try it out and enjoy it!
- 2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts (or 1 lb chicken thighs would work too)
- 5 roma tomatoes
- 6 oz jar artichoke hearts
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp italian seasoning
- 1 tbsp olive oil, or avocado oil + more for greasing dish
- 1 tbsp avocado mayo, divided
- 2 tbsp whole wheat flour
- 1 cup raw mozzarella cheese ,grated (or pre-shredded)
- salt and pepper
- fresh basil, optional
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 9×13 baking dish with oil.
- Start by flattening out the chicken breasts *optional step . A little trick I always do to let them cook more evenly and not dry out. Take one piece of parchment paper and lay on counter, then place your breasts on top, then layer another piece of parchment paper over chicken(to ensure chicken doesn’t splatter everywhere). Take a meat tenderizer and beat the chicken until flattened thin.
- Season both sides of chicken with salt and pepper and place into baking dish. Next coat/baste both breasts with the avocado mayo on top (keeps them from drying out and adds flavor!).
- Drain jar of artichoke hearts and chop them into smaller pieces if needed, place into medium size bowl. Chop tomatoes and place into same bowl.
- Add oil, seasoning, generous amount of salt and pepper, garlic, and flour. Toss until all is evenly coated in flour mixture then add along the sides of baking dish with chicken.
- Bake on 350 for roughly 40 minutes until chicken is cooked through. Take out of oven and sprinkle all the cheese on top of breasts. Switch your oven from baking mode to broiler mode and broil for 1-2 minutes, til the cheese looks nice and ready. *Be sure to pay close attention because it only takes about a minute or so!
- Top with fresh basil and enjoy! Can be served over pasta noodles, zoodles (zucchini noodles), or pair with a lovely green salad!