Easy Spinach Baked Ziti
- 16 oz whole wheat penne pasta (can sub GF if needed) *remember to look for only 1 ingredient when buying pastas (Organic Durum Whole Wheat Flour)
- 15 oz ricotta cheese
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 2 cups spinach, finely chopped
- 23.5 oz marinara sauce (I use this kind when in a hurry or don’t have homemade on hand)
- fresh basil for garnish
- pink salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cook pasta according to package.
- While pasta is cooking mix in a bowl ricotta cheese, egg, parmesan cheese, 1 cup of mozzarella cheese(save other half for later), + a little pink salt & pepper to taste.
- When pasta is fully cooked, strain all excess liquid. Mix in large mixing bowl pasta and 2 cups of marinara sauce. *This is a trick to ensure all noodles are equally covered in sauce!
- Prepare a large baking dish(a little larger than a 9×13 but not too big). Pour any remaining marinara sauce into bottom of baking dish and spread evenly.
- Place half of pasta/marinara mixture into dish, layer with half of ricotta cheese mixture, and top with 1 cup finely chopped spinach.
- Repeat layers until last layer of ricotta is on top. Sprinkle the remaining cup of mozzarella cheese until evenly covered on top.
- Garnish with fresh basil. Cover with foil and bake in oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake for additional 15 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Enjoy and save leftovers for next day!
This is a Holistic Happiness original recipe, please share and tag me on social media if you make this!