Every week I prepare 2-3 homemade snacks to go into lunchboxes and for healthy grab and go options. I try to stick with snacks that have minimal ingredients, are nutritious, and free of refined sugars. Oh, and taste delicious! These sweet potato brownie bites check all of these categories. I have made them numerous times and they are a family favorite, and might I add super kid friendly! I love sweet potatoes, not only for the taste but because they are packed with nutrients and other health benefits too! They contain high amounts of potassium, vitamins A, C, & B which improves energy. They also help aid in healthy skin(which is huge to me-I’m a skincare guru), weight loss, prostate health, and help balance cholesterol. Sounds pretty appetizing right?
Another favorite part to this recipe is maple syrup! I use maple syrup and raw honey in almost all of my baking. It was important to us to source better alternative sweeteners than refined sugar. Refined sugar has zero health benefits with tons of health risks. Natural sweeteners such as pure maple syrup, raw honey, and dates contain ample amounts of nutrients and also taste delicious. That’s 2 for 2 so far on this recipe guys!
So with all that being said let’s get to the recipe and get to baking! I love baking these in my mini silicone muffin liners because they are the perfect bite size for toddlers (and adults too!).
Healthy Sweet Potato Brownie Bites
Adapted from healthyholisticliving.com
Prep Time: 10 min Cook Time: 20-25 min
- 1 cup mashed sweet potato
- ½ cup smooth nut butter of choice (I prefer almond butter).
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- ¼ cup cacao powder
- ¼ cup chocolate chips or cacao nibs*optional (I can’t resist adding!)
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- On the stove top in small sauce pan, melt nut butter with maple syrup.
- In a large bowl add the mashed sweet potato, melted nut butter and maple syrup, cocoa powder and mix well.
- Fold in chocolate chips if using.
- Scoop about a tablespoon of the mixture into muffin liners and bake for 20 minutes or until cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool before removing from liners.* They are best stored in an air tight container in the refrigerator(since they do not contain preservatives) for up to a week.