Husbands’ Favorite Korean Beef Bowls
Recipe adapted from Damn Delicious (* adjustments)
- 1/4 cup organic coconut sugar*
- 1/4 cup reduced sodium soy sauce(I use Bragg’s liquid aminos)
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red-pepper flakes, or more to taste(*I leave this out to make kid friendly but add if you like)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon olive oil*
- 1 cup uncooked white rice(*I double this amount, could sub cauliflower rice for low carb)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound ground beef(locally sourced, or organic grass-fed recommended)
- 1 cup red cabbage – thinly sliced*
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced for garnish
- 1/4 teaspoon sesame seeds for garnish
1.In a small bowl, whisk together coconut sugar, soy sauce, sesame oil, and ginger(+ red pepper flakes if using).
2.Cook rice according to package. (I use my InstantPot to do this quickly, or pre cook ahead to save time).
3.Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant about 1 minute. Add ground beef and cook until browned, about 5 minutes, be sure to crumble the beef as it cooks; when beef is almost ready add in the red cabbage and cook until wilted. Drain excess fat and return back to stove top.
4.Turn down to a simmer and stir in soy sauce mixture until well combined, for about 2 minutes.
5.Serve immediately, garnished with green onion and sesame seeds. I highly recommend doing this last step as it provides amazing flavor and completes the dish. *Sometimes I serve with roasted carrots and broccoli!