Natural Remedies For Cold & Flu
1. Elderberry Syrup
Original Recipe from Wellness Mama
- 2/3 cup dried elderberries (linked below)
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 2 tbsp ground ginger (organic spices recommended)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground clove
- 1 cup raw honey (We get ours at the farmers market but other recommended linked below)
- Pour water into medium saucepan and add elderberries, ginger, cinnamon and cloves (do not add honey).
- Bring to a boil, and simmer for 45 minutes to an hour. Whenever the liquid has reduced by about half, remove from heat and let cool.
- When cooled, pour the elderberry mixture through a mesh strainer and smash the elderberries with a spoon to get all remaining liquid.
- Discard the elderberries and let the liquid cool until no longer hot, then add in the honey and stir well.
- Store the elderberry mixture into a mason jar or glass jar of some kind.
- Keep in the fridge and take daily to boost immune system!
- Standard dose for children is 1/2 – 1 tsp(I give my kids the full tsp) and 1/2 tbsp – 1 tbsp for adults(we take the full tbsp). At any sign of illness we take the dosage every 3-4 hours.
2. Chiropractic Adjustments
I won’t go into too much on this one. Everyone is different and chiropractic care may not be something you are interested in doing and that is fine! It has been a huge benefit to my family’s health and immunity. We get routine adjustments on a biweekly schedule but when we are feeling under the weather we go immediately. It helps open our airways, takes away any achy and soreness in the body, and strengthens our bodies to help fight the illness quickly. I have also done quite a bit of research after talking to some moms, correlating ear infections with chiropractic adjustments. Many studies show the significant decrease and even prevention of ear infections when getting regular adjustments. As quoted by our pediatrician and also Dr. Sears, “80% of ear infections can be treated without antibiotics, and instead with garlic and mullein oil with a likely healing period of 4-7 days”. Garlic and mullein oil has anti-fungal and antiviral properties making it an awesome way to treat ear infections naturally. Check it out below.
3.Vitamins & Supplements
- Women’s prenatal vitamins every day(you could sub the multivitamin if this doesn’t pertain to you)
- Men’s multivitamin every day, and we both take a daily probiotic.
- Toddler age (3) daily multivitamin, + probiotic(I interchange her probiotic with two different brands- linked below!)
- Baby age (1) takes daily probiotic + DHA fish oil.
4. Essential Oils
- 10mL roller bottle(linked below) or 15mL glass bottle
- 5 drops Frankincense
- 10 drops Protective Blend(Onguard)
Fill to half way with Fractionated Coconut Oil(linked below)
*For children under 3 years old, roll on bottoms of feet before bed or on spine.
Flu Shot in a Bottle:
- 10mL roller ball
- 10 drops Oregano
- 15 drops Protective blend
- 20 drops lemon
Add fractionated coconut oil until full.
At first sign of a cold, fill a 2-4 oz glass spray bottle with water, add 5-10 drops Protection Blend. Spray repeatedly on of throat. Also apply 1 drop of Breathe to back of neck.
Use a drop of diluted Respiratory Blend(Breathe) or Eucalyptus to chest and neck for congestion. These two are great to diffuse as well! Everything else linked on Essential Oils Tab
Onguard Hand Sanitizer:
(no alcohol & nourishes the skin)
Recipe from doterra.com
- 5 tbsp aloe vera gel(linked on essentials oils tab)
- 4 tbsp water
- 1/4 tsp vitamin E oil(linked on essential oils tab)
- 8-10 drop Onguard
- In bowl combine aloe vera gel and vitamin E oil.
- Add 8-10 drops On Guard Protective Blend to aloe vera mixture.
- Add water and mix well to combine. Add more or less water depending on the consistency you want.
- Pour into glass spray bottles and take with you everywhere! (bottles on EO tab)
Onguard Multipurpose Cleansing Spray:
Recipe from doterra.com
- 1 tbsp aloe vera gel
- 20 drops Onguard
- In a 4 oz glass bottle combine aloe vera gel and oil. Then add water and shake until well mixed. Use anywhere and everywhere!
4. Hot Teas
5.) Epsom Salt/Magnesium Flake Baths
Epsom Salt dosage:
- Children under 60 lbs – 1/2 cup (So I typically do 1/4 cup for mine because my kids are 20 lbs & 30 lbs)
- Children 60lbs-100lbs – 1 cup
- People 100lbs & up – 2 cups to full bath
Essential Oil Dosage:
- Children under 60lbs & over 2 years old – add 4 drops
- Children 60lbs – 100lbs – add 6 drops
- People 100lbs & up – add 10 drops to full bath
Essential Oil Suggestions:
*Disclaimer : I am not a doctor, nor do I claim to be one. I cannot treat, cure, prevent or diagnose any illness. If you have concerns about any sickness, talk to your family physician. Do your own research on natural remedies to ensure that you think they are safe. If you are pregnant or nursing, consult a qualified specialist before taking any herb or supplement.