Have you ever heard of raw cacao butter? Not to be confused with cocoa butter, they have similarities but the nutritional value is completely different! Raw cacao butter is the unprocessed fat extracted from cocoa beans and doesn’t go through a high heating process leaving it in complete raw form full of antioxidants and nutrients. Cocoa butter, on the other hand, does go through a high heating process killing off most nutrients and vitamins. A very similar process and philosophy as raw, unpasteurized dairy vs pasteurized store-bought dairy (why we love our raw milk and dairy so much!). Raw Cacao butter is rich in antioxidants and essential fatty acids which we know benefit immune function, heart health, and have anti-inflammatory properties.
So how do you use it in the kitchen? Well first let me tell you what it tastes like! To me, it has a very rich dessert taste similar to white chocolate. It can be used in baked and raw dessert goods in place of white chocolate along with smoothies, oatmeal, and warm beverages. If you are not familiar with the taste of coconut oil it may taste differently to you at first, but if you are then you will immediately recognize the flavor! You can also use it to make DIY natural beauty products such as body butter and moisturizer.
I have posted below some yummy recipes and ideas to give this new superfood a shot. Typically I don’t create and post recipes that require you to purchase specialty items you wouldn’t normally have in your pantry or fridge. Also, I typically don’t post recipes that are specific to diets such as Paleo, Keto, Gluten free, Dairy free, low carb, etc. simply because my family doesn’t follow any of those. With that being said, I do believe in adding healthy fats into your eating lifestyle at all times and also to your children’s. There are so many benefits to consuming healthy fats and it should be something everyone is consuming on a regular basis.
You can find all of these ingredients linked below under Shop This Post!
Cacao Butter Chocolate Fudge
- 1 cup raw cacao butter
- 1 cup raw cacao powder
- 3 tbsp pure maple syrup
- In a small sauce pan, heat cacao butter on low-medium and whisk in other ingredients. Keep whisking until all is melted and combined evenly.
- Line a bread loaf pan or smaller size pan with parchment paper. Pour melted fudge mix into lined pan and place into fridge for 30 minutes to let firm up before adding toppings.
- Remove from fridge and add desired toppings. My favorites are goji berries, cacao nibs, himalayan salt. You could also try pumpkin seeds, nuts, or dried cranberries!
- Place back into fridge for another hour or so until completely harden and able to break into pieces. Store in fridge for 2+ weeks.
Almond Butter Fat Bombs
- 1 cup raw cacao butter
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- 2 tbsp unsweetened full fat canned coconut milk
- 1 tbsp unrefined organic coconut oil
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Place all ingredients in small sauce pan and heat over low- medium until mixture is melted and evenly combined.
- Pour into silicone shape molds, or silicone mini muffin liners work great too!
- Place in freezer for 30 minutes until completely harden. Remove from molds and store in fridge for 2+ weeks.
A few other favorite ways to utilize and enjoy raw cacao butter and it’s creamy, dessert like taste is to simply add to coffee, oatmeal, and smoothies. For coffee I would add 1-2 tsp per 8 ounces. For oatmeal I would add 1 tbsp per cup of uncooked oats. For smoothies I would add 1 tbsp per smoothie. A couple of my favorite smoothies to add it to are the Chocolate Banana and Green Super Hero smoothies from the blog!
Shop this post