These pesto turkey meatballs have been in rotation a solid 3 weeks now in our house. So delicious and can literally be thrown into any dish or even packed in lunchboxes! I make a container of homemade pesto just about every week to keep on hand to toss onto veggies, pasta noodles, or in this case meatballs. About the pesto, it’s incredibly easy and takes all of 5 minutes to make your own. By making your own you are avoiding those icky hydrogenated oils such as canola, vegetable, corn, soybean, cottonseed ect. and not to mention the taste & flavor is so fresh! You can control the ingredients and opt for an organic cold pressed olive oil or avocado oil. If buying store-bought pesto just look for these healthy, non-processed oils vs the hydrogenated & highly saturated fatty ones. These meatballs make a great meal prep staple as well and will save you major time at night throwing this easy dish together. I have tested these numerous times so I think they are a real winner you guys!
Pesto Meatball Marinara Skillet
To make meatballs
- 1 lb ground turkey, or chicken works well too. (I’m using locally sourced here, but recommend 100% organic next)
- 1 large pasture raised egg
- 4 tbsp pesto
- 1-2 tbsp ground flax seed meal. (*Linked below or you can simply grind up whole flax seeds in blender to make flax meal. These are a breadcrumb replacement with more nutritional value)
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp pink salt
- Preheat oven to 375. Line baking sheet with non bleached parchment paper.
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl or throw everything in your KitchenAid Mixer like I do. Form into tbsp size balls and bake for 25 minutes, or until cooked through.
- When ready to make skillet dish, pour an entire regular size jar of marinara sauce (I’m using Rao’s Homemade here available at most grocery stores) in oven safe skillet, cast iron skillet, or baking dish. Place meatballs on top, sort of pressing them into the sauce cover with mozzarella cheese and bake roughly 15-20 minutes.
- Serve with pasta noodles, salad, or vegetables for a delicious meal.
Shop This Recipe