The weather is officially feeling like fall here in Middle Tennessee and I think these new pumpkin muffins are perfect for this season! I couldn’t get by without posting at least one pumpkin recipe this season for you guys. The nutritional benefits of pumpkin are truly impressive! From boosting your immune system to protecting eyesight, and most importantly tasting delicious. Sign me up now! I opted to use spelt flour because it is easier to digest and contains a few more nutritional benefits than whole wheat flour. There is no difference in taste compared to whole wheat and I use both, just like to mix them up from time to time. I also am using coconut sugar in place of refined white sugar along with using coconut oil in place of canola or vegetable oil. This version is much less processed and much healthier for you and your family! There is an option to make gluten-free and dairy-free by simply using gluten-free flour and nut milk of your choice. These are perfect for lunch boxes, breakfast on the go, and also make the perfect pocket for some grass-fed butter or even nut butter, YUM!
Makes 1 dozen
- 1 1/2 cups spelt flour (whole-wheat or all purpose works fine too. Can use GF flour)
- 1 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup pumpkin puree (fresh roasted or canned- not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup milk( I’m using whole raw milk, can sub for almond milk to make dairy free)
- pumpkin seeds for garnish *optional
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line muffin pan with 12 muffin liners( I use these silicone ones)
- In a medium size bowl, combine flour, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice, salt.
- In another bowl, combine pumpkin puree, coconut sugar, eggs, milk and whisk until evenly mixed. Slowly add in melted coconut oil while whisking.
- Slowly add in flour until all combined.
- Fill muffin liners about 3/4 full. Top with pumpkin seeds if desired!
- Bake for 20-25 minutes (mine took 20). Insert toothpick to make sure they are finished.