Hey guys, it has been a minute since I have blogged a recipe. We have been living outside during these summer months and soaking up all the sun we can get! We have also been frequenting our local Farmer’s Market just about every time the doors are open, we just love that place! Squash and zucchini are two of the main vegetables grown at the beginning of summer months and we have definitely had our fair share of it lately. My grandmother who also lives here in Middle Tennessee has a wonderful garden and we are so fortunate she shares her abundance of vegetables with us! Recently we drove out(she lives in the countryside) and was able to take home tons of yellow squash, zucchini, and cucumbers. I was so excited to make bread and butter pickles for the very first time with all the fresh cucumbers, they turned out so delicious!
Anyways, I figured I would whip us up a sweet treat that was semi-healthy and used up some of these delicious vegetables. My girls did not even notice it had “green stuff” in it, they scarfed it down in a blink. Even my husband ate a couple of slices and really enjoyed it! This recipe is free of refined sugar and flours and made with health-conscious ingredients. It is a treat for the whole family! Enjoy.
Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread
Recipe adapted from Sally’s Baking Addiction
Makes 1 loaf
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 large pasture egg, room temperature
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt, room temperature
- 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour, or sprouted spelt flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 pink salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 1/4 cup shredded zucchini
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350. Line a loaf pan with parchment paper, with sides folded over.
- In a large bowl or mixer, whisk together coconut oil, syrup, egg, yogurt, vanilla extract. In a small bowl combine dry ingredients : flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon.
- Pour dry ingredients into wet until just combined. Fold in grated zucchini and chocolate chips.
- Pour all combined mixture into lined loaf pan. Bake for 45-55 minutes. Check with a toothpick when top is browning.
- When toothpick comes out clean remove from oven and let rest for 10 minutes. Remove from loaf pan and set on wire rack to cool completely before slicing.
*I always store in fridge to keep freshness if it will be more than a couple of days, but ours never lasts that long!